NATO Modelling and Simulation Support to Crisis Disaster Management Processes and Climate Change Implications (MSG-147) Meeting
In the period 1-3 February 2017, the NATO Modelling and Simulation Centre of Excellence (M&S COE) hosted the meeting of the NATO Science & Technology Organisation (STO) /NATO Modelling & Simulation Group MSG-147 “Modelling and Simulation Support to Crisis Disaster Management Processes and Climate Change Implications.
The aim of the MSG-147 project is to develop a reference architecture and demonstrate a technical platform that enables prompt, reasonable and effective tests of Crisis/Disaster and CCI Response plans.
The development includes research, analysis, concept creation, standardization and interoperability improvements.
The Scope of the group is to enhance the Decision-Making related to Crisis/Disaster Management and CCI utilizing modelling and simulation applications.
The expected deliverables and/or end products are:
- Investigate, categorize and catalogue data sources available for Disaster Response (DR);
- Analysis of existing standards in common vocabulary and investigate for new ones to adapt existing for NATO purposes;
- Categorization of existing modelling and simulation (M&S) solutions and develop missing ones;
- Computer formalization of Command and Control logic for Crisis/Disaster Response;
- Reference architecture/platform for proof of concept;
- Demonstration (contribution to multinational exercises) as a test bed for Analysis and Trainings in order to support Crisis/Disaster Management and Climate Change Implications.
MSG-147 group is open to NATO bodies and Commands, Centres of Excellence, NATO Nations, PfP Nations, Global Partners, International Organisations, Universities and Industries.
During the event, the Archaria megacity model (6 million inhabitants imaginary city) built for the NATO Urbanisation study and experiment 2015 and upgraded for the wargame in 2016 was demonstrated. The exploration of the possible re-use of the model to support training, planning, concept development and experimentation is one of the MSG-147 key tasks.